Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Copycat Starbucks Peppermint Mocha

This recipe is for people like me who don't have any fancy equipment like espresso machines or milk frothers. What I did invest in was a bottle of peppermint syrup from Starbucks which cost 7 dollars and change or, slightly more than one of these drinks if you were to get it there instead of making your own. The syrup is useful for flavoring water (I squirt not even one pump into my liter water bottle and it gives my water a very refreshing minty aftertaste that helps me to actually drink my water instead of just conveniently "forgetting" it's in my work bag). Additionally, I think the syrup will be useful around the holidays for all manner of white chocolate peppermint flavored baked goods. So now that I've justified my splurge on Starbucks peppermint syrup, let's make a copycat peppermint mocha. (makes 2 servings) Ingredients: 1 cup strong brewed coffee (hot) 1 cup whole, 2%, skim, almond, coconut or soy milk 1 tablespoon Hershey's chocolate syrup 1 squirt (maybe a teaspoon?) peppermint syrup Whipped cream Additional chocolate syrup for garnish (optional) In a small saucepan over medium heat, warm the milk with the chocolate and peppermint syrups. Whisk it as it heats to make it frothy. Pour the coffee into 2 separate mugs. Add the milk from the saucepan. Top with whipped cream (you can whip coconut milk from the can for a nondairy version). Garnish as desired. Serve proudly to any and all peppermint mocha lovers and be prepared for smiles. Relish the idea that you can create this many times over in any season for a fraction of the cost of one at Starbucks. I'm thinking of investing in a full line of Starbucks syrups. With the mocha syrup, the caramel syrup and the pumpkin syrup I'm pretty sure I could make passable versions of the salted caramel mocha, the caramel apple cider and the pumpkin spice latte. Think of the savings! Think of the satisfied cravings! Plus, all the drinks can be blended with ice for frappucino versions. Nutrition I figured out the calorie count of my version using whole milk and a real healthy dollop of real sweetened whipped heavy cream and got about 260 calories per serving versus 320 for the regular version (size tall) at Starbucks. The main difference here is that I only use the equivalent of about one pump of chocolate syrup and not even one whole pump of peppermint syrup. I always order one pump versions of my drinks at Starbucks because I find them unbearably sweet the way they're usually made; a tall will almost always give me a stomach ache if I don't ask them to reduce the normal number of pumps by about half. I know a lot of people will get their specialty drinks without the whipped cream But I'd much rather reduce the calories by reducing the sugar content while maintaining the indulgent feeling you get from the whipped cream.

No comments: