Friday, March 20, 2009

My Vegetable Garden

I had big plans to plant an organic vegetable garden this year in my backyard. I made a list (mainly listing all the different kinds of vegetables I envisioned myself growing), asked some of my "green" friends at work for advice, borrowed a book from the library, and even poked around on the internet a little for research purposes. I had it all planned out. I was ging to plant tomatoes, onions, lettuce, basil, mint, peppers, tomatoes and eggplant. But mostly tomatoes. I crave garden-grown tomatoes. True, I've only had them, like, once before, but they really aren't even comparable to the ones you buy in the store. And I spend so much money on tomatoes at the store. I can't stand to buy the pale, grainy, mealy ones that are 99 cents a pound. I have to go for the red, juicy, somewhat fresh-appearing vine grown tomatoes that cost 2.99 or more per pound.
My problem is that after I put all that mental and emotional energy into my vegetable garden, I found out I was knocked up. Suddenly, I had to contemplate a mental picture of myself, 7 months gone with child, with a one year old baby perched on one hip, probably wearing some type of shapeless smock with a floral pattern, barefooted and on my hands and knees weeding a garden. It was a little too Dugger for my liking. For those of you who don't know who the Duggers are, you really should watch more TLC.
The vegetable garden was tabled, needless to say. However, I couldn't get the thought of those fresh tomatoes out of my mind. I really want some damn fresh tomatoes. Is it asking so much to have some fresh grown damn tomatoes from the garden? I don't think so. So I decided to experiment with what's known as a "container garden". It involves planting stuff into moveable containers and then you can just keep them on the porch or the deck or anyplace that's sunny. You don't have to worry as much about weeds, since you aren't planting them into the ground. Pests aren't as much of an issue either since the plants are up off of the ground. I bought these planters that have a special resorvoir in the bottom so you don't even have to water them every day. Hey, that sounds like something even a pregnant broad can handle, right? We'll see. I will keep a chronicle of the experience here and if it turns out to be a success, I will have developed much needed skills and knowledge on the science of growing stuff so that next year maybe my enormous kitchen vegetable garden will be a reality. Or maybe the whole thing will be a colossal failure and I will realize that I don't really care for fresh veggies after all and as a matter of fact, I actually like going to the grocery store and buying pesticide covered, wax coated produce that smells like ass.
I bought about 3 cherry tomato plants, 4 regular tomato plants, a basil plant and a mint plant. If it is succesful it will be the first time I have ever grown anything. When I finish planting them, I'll post some pictures of them in their new containers/homes. Right now, they are being "hardened off" a process which involves taking them outside during the day so they can get used to the sunlight and temperature outside, and bringing them inside to be protected at nighttime. Any tips and pointers on the next step (transplanting them to their containers) would be appreciated.

3 comments:

Val said...

I used upside down tomato planting things that hang last year. I got 2 tomatoes. They were good though.

Lauren Ochoa said...

I'm shooting for more than two. If I get two, let's just say, I'm going to be pissed.

Val said...

yeah, one of them was kind of moldy too.