Wednesday, March 25, 2009

My Portfolio

I recently expanded my horizens (still further!?) by purchasing some stocks. I am now a participator in the stock market. I watch CNBC with interest every day to see how the "DOW and Nasdaq faired" (I'm still a little shaky on exactly what that means). I have already made close to a hundred dollars, having only invested 250. That's a pretty good return on investment. I bought some shares in Starbucks, because I like Starbucks and I figure, if I can buy a share in the company for less than the cost of two lattes, why not? I'm still going to buy the two lattes, mind you. Don't get the idea that I've given up on the product or anything. I just feel better about spending 4 bucks on a latte now that I'm a shareholder. I'm just bostering my own bottom line, you see, whenever I make a purchase.
I also bought in Citigroup, the company that owns Citi Bank, because what the hell? They were only a buck fifty a share. If the company does go belly up, I won't be out too much money. If, on the other hand, they return to 40 dollars a share, I'm up big time.
My other purchase was GE because that company has been around forever and I don't see them going out of business any time soon.
Now, at what other time in history has 250 dollars allowed a person to actually purchase an entire portfolio of stocks? Umm, a few years ago I wouldn't have been able to buy 10 shares of Starbucks for that. And what the hell? Its only the kids' college savings, right? If I lose it all, there's always community college. Just kidding. If the college savings fund consists of 250 dollars, I'm thinking community college isn't even an option. Maybe technical school (BOCES anyone?)

No comments: