Thursday, March 19, 2009

Insalata Caprese Trio

Here's how you can make three delicious dishes out of the same 5 ingredients.
#1 fresh mozzerella (the kind that often comes in water)
#2 fresh vine-ripened tomatos
#3 fresh basil
#4 one lemon
#5 olive oil

For the first dish, a simple salad, dice the tomatos and the cheese into roughly equal sized pieces. Rip up fresh basil and sprinkle over the top. Make a simple vinagrette by squeezing the juice of half the lemon into a dish and then whisking a 1/2 cup of olive oil into it. Drizzle some of this over the top and add a tiny bit of salt and freshly ground pepper. It will be delicious, simple, and addictive.



...Kind of like this (I know, The Pioneer Woman I am not. Let's not go into it).


Later on, if you feel like a midnight snack, like I do every night now that I am gestating again, get a piece of bread and stick it under the broiler for a minute, just until it starts to brown. Thinly slice some tomato and fresh mozzerella to lay on the bread and then sprinkle with some of the basil. Drizzle with the lemon vinagrette and stick it back under the broiler until the cheese melts. It might not look like much, but it makes a delicious open faced sandwich. You could get fancy and do this on french baguette and call it bruschetta. You only have to do that if you're making it for other people though. I ate this all by myself while Hugo was putting Sofia to sleep.


The next day I still had some cheese, tomato, basil and vinagrette left, and since I paid a pretty price for the mozzerella, I didn't want it to go to waste. Oh Fresh Market, I love you so and some day I will be so wealthy that I will be able to shop in your store all the time. Until that day, I shall have to let it remain a rare treat. So anyway, the next day I decided to cook up some bowtie pasta and toss it with the exact same salad from the night before. It looked like this...


...and boy was it delicious. Light and springy and very girly. I didn't eat like a girl though. I finished it.

No comments: